Ingredients For the base:
For the cheesecake filling: 130g cashew nuts, soaked for 2-3hrs at least 80g medjool dates, pitted and soaked for 2-3hrs at least 4tbsp almond milk 1-2tbsp tahini (Add more if you like the taste of it) 1/2tsp vanilla extract Pinch of ground sea salt
- Add all of the ingredients for the base together into a high-powered food processor and blend until combined. (If using a Blendtec, select the “batter” programme). Press into the bottom of a square 20cm x 20cm dish.
- In a food processor, blend all of the filling ingredients together to form a thick and creamy mixture. Scoop out over the base, smooth out the top using the back of a spoon, and place in the freezer whilst preparing the topping.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over a bain-marie, stirring well. (This can be completed using a microwave as well as the resulting product is the same). Once smooth and fully melted, remove from the heat and carefully pour in the coconut milk, mixing gently with a spoon whilst doing so. Pour the mixture over the cheesecake filling and return to the freezer. Freeze for at least one hour to allow the topping to set fully.
- Just before serving, remove from the freezer and dish. Allow to defrost for around ten minutes, then using a very sharp knife, cut into nine slices (tip: a sawing action will avoid cracking the top chocolate layer).
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream, dusted with more cacao powder or eat on its own – the main thing is enjoy!
As featured in the Creative Nature email newsletter 04-08-2015.
Remember to use the hashtag #mindfullymade on social media platforms to share with me your creations 🙂