CHOCO-COCONUT “LAMINGTON” FRENCH TOAST
For the French toasts:
1 egg (Vegan substitute: flax egg)
150ml unsweetened almond milk
½ tablespoon natural sweetener/sugar of choice (Can be substituted with a mashed banana but this will change the taste of the French toast)
2 pieces of bread of choice (I use sourdough or rye, but you can use anything your heart desires)
1tsp vanilla extract
For the coconut filling:
100g coconut yoghurt
20g coconut chips
½ tablespoon natural sweetener/sugar of choice (Optional)
For the chocolate icing and toppings:
50g dark (raw) chocolate, melted
25g desiccated coconut
- Whisk the egg, milk, sweetener/sugar and vanilla together in a shallow bowl until combined.
- In a separate bowl, melt the dark chocolate either over a bain-marie or in the microwave, whichever you prefer.
- In another bowl, mix together the coconut yoghurt and sweetener if using.
- Spread both pieces of bread with the coconut filling, and add the coconut chips to one slice of bread.
- Top with the second piece of bread and gently press the edges down to ‘seal.’
- Dip the sandwich into the egg mix, and turn to coat.
- Heat a non-stick pan with Mellow Yellow Rapeseed Oil over low-medium heat.
- Fry sandwich for about 3 – 5 minutes on both sides or until golden brown and cooked through.
- To serve, cut the sandwich in half diagonally to produce two triangular-shaped French toasts and then sprinkle the top with desiccated coconut as well as fresh fruit.